You might be surprised to learn that your donation of a ream of 8.5” x 11” paper for our office printer can actually help endangered lemurs. Or, your donation of other supplies needed by staff as they carry out tasks and projects at “home base,” the Mianatra Center for Lemur Studies at our reserve in Myakka City, Florida. Every dollar that LCF can save on office supplies can be redirected to our work that protects these primates.
And that’s the same for husbandry supplies, like dish liquid to keep the lemurs’ food prep areas sparkling and sanitized in the reserve’s lemur shelters. Or, sustainable gardening supplies like a pruner or shovel to keep our veggies and fruits growing and our compost pile turned over.
If you’d like to more directly help the lemurs at our reserve with supplies for them, we’ve got a wish list for that, as well. For example, jam, jelly, or fruit butters (low sugar and natural preferred) make tasty and nutritional treats for our colony.
Our list is provided below and as a pdf file to download and print: LCF Supplies Wish List
During the coronavirus pandemic, our work and need for gardening, enrichment, husbandry, cleaning and office supplies continue. Because we are taking every precaution to protect our staff and minimize contact with others, our reserve is closed. Please consider mailing or shipping currently needed supplies from the lists below, or ordering them from our Amazon Wish Lists—there, you’ll find specific lists for Cleaning Supplies, Commissary, Enrichment Items, Hurricane Supplies, Infant Supplies, Maintenance, Office Supplies, Pest Control, Sustainability, Tools, Treats (Summer), Treats (Training and Enrichment), and Veterinary supplies.
Here is the address to mail or ship supplies to Caitlin Kenney, LCF Zoological Manager:
Lemur Conservation Foundation
PO Box 249
Myakka City, FL 34251
Questions? Please email email@example.com. Office staff is working remotely during the pandemic, and the husbandry staff is caring for the lemurs at the reserve. We will respond as soon as possible. Thank you for your understanding and support!
LCF Supplies Wish List
Please note that some supplies are seasonal, and that our needs are subject to change.
Sustainable Gardening Supplies
These tools and supplies will help keepers grow fresh, organic produce right at the reserve to use for lemur diets. Having the necessary tools on hand will also allow us to effectively maintain a number of fruit trees and plants growing at the reserve, including loquat, mango, papaya, banana and blueberry.
Miracle-Gro Potting soil
Espoma ‘Garden Tone’ or ‘Citrus Tone’ Plant Food
Daily enrichment improves the physical and mental health of our animals by keeping them stimulated. A variety of items and creatively presented snacks encourage our lemurs to engage in natural behaviors like foraging, scent marking, and nesting. As we warm up for the Florida summer, juice is critical to keeping our lemurs hydrated!
100% Juice (summer only)
– Apple, including apple-pineapple, apple-raspberry
– Grape, including white grape, white grape peach
– Cranberry, including cran-grape, cran-apple, cran-mango, cran-pineapple, cran-blackberry, cran-raspberry, cran-pomegranate
– Strawberry kiwi
– Pedialyte Classic Liters- unflavored, grape, or mixed fruit
Jam/ Jelly/ fruit butters (low sugar/ natural preferred):
– Grape, strawberry, apple, raspberry, blueberry, blackberry, apricot, mango, kiwi, papaya
Dried fruit (natural/ no sugar added preferred)
– Raisins, craisins
– Figs, prunes, dates, banana, pineapple, blueberries, apricots
Nuts and seeds (natural/no added salt)
– Peanuts, walnuts, cashews, almonds, pecans, hazelnuts
– Pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds (pepitas) – de-shelled preferred
– Peanut, almond, cashew- prefer natural, added honey okay
– Original, pear, mixed berry, mango-peach
Baby food (fruit and vegetable only – any combination of options listed below)
– Banana, peach, pear, plum, mango, sweet potato, squash, peas, kale, pumpkin, papaya, passion fruit, apples, carrots, blueberries, apricot, corn, cranberry
Spices for scent enrichment
– Allspice, basil, black pepper, caraway seeds, chives, cinnamon, cumin, dill weed, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, lemon pepper, marjoram, mint, ground mustard, oregano, paprika, parsley, pumpkin spice, rosemary, sage, thyme, turmeric
– Paper towel, toilet paper, and wrapping paper tubes
Each lemur receives their own food bowl daily and each group has at least 2-3 water sources. Dirty bowls and bottles are cleaned and sanitized daily for the lemurs to enjoy fresh meals. That’s a lot of dishes!
Cascade dishwashing packs
Palmolive orange dish liquid
Palmolive Ultra antibacterial orange dish liquid
Laundry detergent (free & gentle preferred)
Ziploc bags- quart and gallon sizes
Scotch Brite Heavy Duty yellow and green scrub sponges (or similar)
Hefty 30-gallon black trash bags
Masking tape? It’s great for birthing season signs like ‘Quiet, please. Mother and infant resting.’
Printer 8.5” x 11” white paper
Fine tip Sharpies
Sharpie peel-off china markers in black
Fine-point expo markers (black or color)
AA batteries (alkaline, lithium, or rechargeable)
Tall kitchen trash bags
Staples gift cards